Saturday 7 January 2017

California

After ten days in New York we flew to California, where Mr Thimblestitch tried his hand at driving on the other side of the road. Very interesting, he did well! We enjoyed discovering some of the Bay area, I really liked Napa and Sonoma. But my absolute favourite was the giant redwoods at Muir Wood National Monument, they were breathtaking.
 

After three days driving we arrived back in San Francsico. Such a different city to New York, but still lots to see and do. We rode bikes over the Golden Gate Bridge, rode the street cars and cable cars, toured Alcatraz and really enjoyed the steep hills and beautiful houses.

 

New Years Eve was a little quieter as coughs and sniffles started to slow us down. Those of us who could, walked to the Bay Bridge for fireworks. Whilst I'm not usually a fan of big crowds, it was a great celebration. Socks finished just in time for the end of 2016!

 

Wherever I go I usually check out the patchwork and now wool shops before I go. It's always interesting to see (and buy) something different. I find the unexpected little journeys into suburban areas really enhance my trip, whether it's in Australia or overseas. They take me to places I might not otherwise go. In San Francisco, DH and I ventured out to Imagiknit. What a fantastic store, I wish I'd had more time, more money and more knitting skills to take full advantage of it!
 

We had such a good time. Lots of adventures and experiences, so lucky with mostly great weather. I didn't think I would ever do a trip like this with my children, but it was so special to have this first big overseas experience together. Our trip broadened our horizons and made us appreciate our own country more. 

Home to my beloved hound.
 

Back in a minute to show you what I got in the SSCS swap!

Susan x


10 comments:

  1. Sharing the time together will become more special as time goes by. We did a family trip overseas about 9 years ago and I still cherish that time together. The sights are amazing and a great opportunity to visit some of those shops. It will be interesting to see how this trip influences your crafting this year?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful adventure to share with your boys!
    Beautiful pics of your trip. Bet your furry friend was happy to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fantastic trip Susan! Welcome home and Happy 2017:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great holiday pictures, so nice to see you going overseas as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trip you have had and so special to do it all together x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful! Great to read your thoughts about the trip and I can imagine being just as impressed by those redwoods! My brother-in-law has just planted a Redwood in his garden ...not sure that was wise if it is the same family of tree! and then I guess it would take generations to get to full size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful experiences for your family. Traveling does make the world a little smaller as we discover how much we are alike. (Except for driving on different sides of the road) :0). Glad you had a great time on both coasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a lovely holiday...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fabulous trip...so glad you all had a great time...with wonderful memories to share...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great holiday photos! What a holiday, all those memories with your family! You are blessed!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...